Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Free Choice Statement

Both of my free choice breadth pieces were mainly (and selfishly) for me. I did a giant self portrait because I am self centered and I knew it would be epic. I also did a different portrait of my friend that she will be buying from me. The portrait of me is done in acrylic but I also plan to add some watercolor to the background. If the water color doesn't work the way I want it to, then I will cut it out and add a starry collage to the background. the other drawing of Allie is decent. I wish I would have mounted it better and there are small details I would change, but over all, I think she will like it. It could use a background but I normally don't do them on portraits that I sell. My concept in my pieces was a bit weak but my craftsmanship was the thing that I think I did the best on.

3 comments:

  1. Ally :D

    Great job with the colored pencil--you really have a knack for that! Do not be afraid to push your ideas! Don't hold yourself back. I know you were thinking of adding color to the painting of yourself, and that you worried about ruining the paper, but as someone who struggles with the same thing I'm telling you just push through and hope for the best! :D Okay, I'll stop being pushy now, sorry about that.
    Bye!
    ~Sage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ally, I am SO amazed at what you can do with colored pencil, because when I try to draw with colored pencils, I can never find the patience to add enough layers and drop the fear of pressing down really hard. Like, how do you even get all those colors out of colored pencils? That's insane! I agree that you could've worked more on concept, but I think your pieces are beautiful nonetheless. I think you should definitely add watercolor to the background of your self-portrait because it would be SO cool and almost ethereal or mystical, especially if you used brighter colors like bright greens and magentas. I just think that would look SO cool. But yeah, great job as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your colored pencil is AMAZING! You are able to develop such realistic images, and I think that the brown paper you have been using looks really great. I agree with what everyone else has said in that I think that your painting would be really cool with some watercolor in the back and maybe even at the bottom as well, just to add a little more interest. I do love the simplicity of the black and white without it, though, and I understand being scared to take it further! Don't hold back because even if it doesn't work out, there's always a creative way to fix it. Nice job on both!

    ReplyDelete